You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this Website SybaseTeam.Com...
Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister) Remember Me? Current time: 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM
   Home  |  About Us  |  Sybase Training  |  Synergy  |  Consulting  |  Job Openings  |  Tech Videos  |  Rules and Disclaimer  |  Search
Forum Tools
log device has become full and database corrupted
08-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote this message in a reply
log device has become full and database corrupted

Hi,
I have a really big problem, help please.
The database server we use, is ASE 12.5 on win 2003 server. We have a database that contains all our network information and is about 500 MB on a device with the size of 1.5 GB. The database log is on another device (2GB size). Recently the database log became too big and sometimes crashed. I just used to increase the size of the log device and database. Although it worked but I know it was a very bad solution (I should have truncated the database log instead). Yesterday the same problem happened but after resizing I just decided to get a copy of the data and log devices as a backup. So I detached the database, got a copy of the devices and while attaching it back the main problem occurred. The error said that Sybase Central disconnected from ASE and needed to reconnect. It appeared a red (?) mark on the database name. I tried repairing and then dropping but with the error saying that database had not recovered yet ( I think log device is still full). I also noticed that there had been something wrong with backup schedule and I just have the dump file of 2 month ago.
I shut down the server and format the drive which the database devices were on and run the server again. Now I was able to delete the database. Then I copied the database devices on the same folder they were before and attached database by using the manifest file. Now there is a yellow (!) sign on the database name. When I check the devices I see that there is no database on them. I’ve tried many procedures including the following:
In the master database, issue the following:

sp_configure "allow updates to system tables", 1

1. update sysdatabases
set status = -32767
where dbid = id for DB 'x'

2. checkpoint master database

3. shutdown and restart ASE Server

The database should now be in by-pass recovery mode.

4. use database 'x'

5. dump tran database with no_log

6. update sysdatabases set status = 0

where dbid = ID for db 'x'

7. checkpoint master

8. shutdown and restart ASE

But while trying the “use database” command it said database had not been upgraded yet.
Help please.
Thanks in advance for any help

Find all posts by this user
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Quote this message in a reply
RE: log device has become full and database corrupted

(08-05-2010 10:10 AM)chatravin Wrote:  Hi,
I have a really big problem, help please.
The database server we use, is ASE 12.5 on win 2003 server. We have a database that contains all our network information and is about 500 MB on a device with the size of 1.5 GB. The database log is on another device (2GB size). Recently the database log became too big and sometimes crashed. I just used to increase the size of the log device and database. Although it worked but I know it was a very bad solution (I should have truncated the database log instead). Yesterday the same problem happened but after resizing I just decided to get a copy of the data and log devices as a backup. So I detached the database, got a copy of the devices and while attaching it back the main problem occurred. The error said that Sybase Central disconnected from ASE and needed to reconnect. It appeared a red (?) mark on the database name. I tried repairing and then dropping but with the error saying that database had not recovered yet ( I think log device is still full). I also noticed that there had been something wrong with backup schedule and I just have the dump file of 2 month ago.
I shut down the server and format the drive which the database devices were on and run the server again. Now I was able to delete the database. Then I copied the database devices on the same folder they were before and attached database by using the manifest file. Now there is a yellow (!) sign on the database name. When I check the devices I see that there is no database on them. I’ve tried many procedures including the following:
In the master database, issue the following:

sp_configure "allow updates to system tables", 1

1. update sysdatabases
set status = -32767
where dbid = id for DB 'x'

2. checkpoint master database

3. shutdown and restart ASE Server

The database should now be in by-pass recovery mode.

4. use database 'x'

5. dump tran database with no_log

6. update sysdatabases set status = 0

where dbid = ID for db 'x'

7. checkpoint master

8. shutdown and restart ASE

But while trying the “use database” command it said database had not been upgraded yet.
Help please.
Thanks in advance for any help

select status, status2 from master..sysdatabases where dbid=yourdbid

Could be you will need to reset status2 as well.

Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  online database BLAH with standby_access Julz 1 1,458 10-28-2013 11:53 PM
Last Post: Julz
  logsegment is full vinayp83 6 2,748 02-22-2013 04:22 AM
Last Post: vinayp83
  how to find which process filled up the log for a database ashwin510 2 2,075 08-14-2012 03:21 PM
Last Post: sybanva
Smile Cross Database intgerity constraints and dbid mismatch sybanva 4 3,643 06-27-2012 05:22 AM
Last Post: skrtripathi
  corrupted stored procedures infocean 0 2,006 05-14-2012 06:09 PM
Last Post: infocean
  Unable to USE database foo 4 3,173 06-09-2010 12:31 AM
Last Post: foo
  the transaction log of a database has filled and recovery has suspended on start up john 0 4,001 07-16-2009 06:34 PM
Last Post: john
  knowledge base entry: loading sybase 15 database dumps to sybase 12.5 sybase server ? john 0 3,311 03-24-2009 06:16 PM
Last Post: john

Options: